Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa 12:47 - Aug 13 with 18911 viewsEasternJack

Roque Mesa was an unused substitute this weekend as the Swans kicked off the new season with a goalless draw at Southampton.

And Clement explained that he wants to give the 28-year-old, who arrived in an £11 million deal last month, the opportunity to come to terms with the challenges of English football.

“Roque Mesa is a really good player and he is going to be a good player for this team,”

“But it’s going to take him a little bit of time to adapt to the tempo of this league because he has been playing in La Liga.

“I have worked in La Liga and I know the difference. In La Liga you get time on the ball to play, especially in midfield.

“But over here it’s very different. You don’t get that time and space to play because of the tempo.

“Roque will get used to that, but it’s going to take him a bit of time.”

“If we get players in, it will be good if they have a bit of Premier League experience,”

---
Thankfully that kills the Viera link, but probably reinforces the Joey, Bony and Chadli deals once/if Siggy goes

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:14 - Aug 14 with 2985 viewsWarwickHunt

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:32 - Aug 14 by Meraki

Clement had nothing to do with the signing of Mesa, as someone said its a Moneyball signing - Huw Jenkins loves them.

I think it's more that the Yanks love them. Still, I suppose it's step up from the Falkirk yoof/Boro reserves/had a good game against us once approach...

I'd hoped with the Siggy affair we'd seen the last of Jenkins' direct involvement in transfers - as stated above, the renewed interest in Chadli & Co. suggests otherwise. We must have the thinnest "little black book" in the history of football.

We're fücked until the clueless egomaniac fücks off with his ill-gotten gains and we get a pro in.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2017 9:15]
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:45 - Aug 14 with 2947 viewsdameedna

It was Lofty's decision to not bring Mesa on. Aside from that sideline height issue, why would he not bring Mesa on?

PC has said as best he can why he did not play Mesa in this game.

Mesa has never played in the EPL.

Not sure if United is the game to start Mesa. Not yet.

Wouldnt be surprised if PC is disgruntled with only one big signing and a loanee and must know how close we are to the ongoing ownership issues etc. Dont quite get the connection though.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:52 - Aug 14 with 2934 viewsNeath_Jack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 05:01 - Aug 14 by Nirvana

Sorry to disappoint you, Neefie.

It was a beautiful day where I am, and I made the most of it. I guess you spent yours on PS.

Again, sorry.

I know you'll laugh it off on here, but a piece of advice: you really should think long and hard about what you're doing with your life.

Move along to your next obsession, you're embarrassing yourself.

Grown man, mind you, cyber-stalking another, FFS.

No need to apologise wuss, we all make c*nts out of ourselves sometimes, it's just you do it more often than most on here.

I actually spent the day watching football on the TV, interspersed with athletics. Funnily enough it's pretty easy to watch the tv and post on here at the same time. I don't need to trawl the www looking for youtube videos or random news reports and articles, i get my views and opinions from watching the games.

Now, remind me again how Clement made Viera his number one target......

Massive f*cking whopper.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 01:34 - Aug 17 with 2751 viewsNirvana

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:44 - Aug 14 by jojaca

I don't buy the argument that Premier League is played at higher/faster tempo than La Liga. Every team plays slightly different in any league, some play high press and some don't press etc. On the youtube videos of Mesa, he looks the ideal player to have when we getting pressed higher up, he looks like Britton of old playing out of tight spots and then creating large spaces for his team mates. But that is only watching youtube videos mind.

Well, Jojaca, all I can tell you is there's a huge difference in La Liga and the PL.

Every team in Spain, even Bilbao, play the ball around, side to side, and on the ground more than in the air. That is certainly not the case in England. Yes, every team presses in 2017, but the PL and Bundesliga are easily the most aggressive and resilient about it.

Mesa is accustomed to dropping between the CBs in possession and picking up the ball from one of them or the keeper, making a quick turn, and dribbling at the opposition looking for the run of a teammate into space. In contrast with the PL, Spanish clubs generally don't press high up the pitch and harry their opponent's defenders, they hang back in midfield waiting to trigger the press.

So, Mesa is used to operating mostly as a pivot without waves of pressure coming at him all game. He will have to get accustomed to that, and making good decisions with the ball is paramount. I'm assuming that's what Clement is working on more than anything, and it may take a little bit.

But, it's still football and Mesa is quality. He will come good, and it won't take all season to get there. Patience.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:47 - Aug 17 with 2538 viewsjojaca

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 01:34 - Aug 17 by Nirvana

Well, Jojaca, all I can tell you is there's a huge difference in La Liga and the PL.

Every team in Spain, even Bilbao, play the ball around, side to side, and on the ground more than in the air. That is certainly not the case in England. Yes, every team presses in 2017, but the PL and Bundesliga are easily the most aggressive and resilient about it.

Mesa is accustomed to dropping between the CBs in possession and picking up the ball from one of them or the keeper, making a quick turn, and dribbling at the opposition looking for the run of a teammate into space. In contrast with the PL, Spanish clubs generally don't press high up the pitch and harry their opponent's defenders, they hang back in midfield waiting to trigger the press.

So, Mesa is used to operating mostly as a pivot without waves of pressure coming at him all game. He will have to get accustomed to that, and making good decisions with the ball is paramount. I'm assuming that's what Clement is working on more than anything, and it may take a little bit.

But, it's still football and Mesa is quality. He will come good, and it won't take all season to get there. Patience.

Why have the PL teams done f**k all in Champions League recently. He is 28 years old, not 18 year old. He is really going get used to the Premier League collecting in splinters on his arse. I also noticed a lot of debutants hit the ground running first week of the Prem, they didn't need settling in. We pay £11 million for him, so let's play the dude, if he makes mistakes hopefully he is a quick learner.

Even when you know, you never know?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:02 - Aug 17 with 2490 viewsTheResurrection

All this clown Nirvana has ever done is make big shoes and fake red nose posts making excuses for his previous garbage attempts at attempting to talk football.

He's on for some sort of a record though. Never seen a poster get humiliated so many times in such a short time.

Hey. Novel idea you know. But why not tell the experienced Mesa 6 weeks ago how you want him to play and not dawdle on the ball.

Crazy huh???!!!!

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 12:52 - Aug 17 with 2383 viewsAngelRangelQS

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:02 - Aug 17 by TheResurrection

All this clown Nirvana has ever done is make big shoes and fake red nose posts making excuses for his previous garbage attempts at attempting to talk football.

He's on for some sort of a record though. Never seen a poster get humiliated so many times in such a short time.

Hey. Novel idea you know. But why not tell the experienced Mesa 6 weeks ago how you want him to play and not dawdle on the ball.

Crazy huh???!!!!

"He'll get accustomed to it" apparently

Not sure how that happens from being sat on the bench
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 12:58 - Aug 17 with 2351 viewsicecoldjack

It's easier to start the premier league than to finish it, which is why the bull about needing time doesn't quite wash, it would be far easier for Mesa to play these games at the start of the season as teams arn't fully fit or up to speed.

It's very often why overseas players and new clubs often make a splash in the first few months.
Seems strange as fook why we didn't play him, my only guess is that clement doesn't rate him. Tammy never played in the premier league either but didn't stop him from starting.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 13:02 - Aug 17 with 2333 viewsDarran

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 12:58 - Aug 17 by icecoldjack

It's easier to start the premier league than to finish it, which is why the bull about needing time doesn't quite wash, it would be far easier for Mesa to play these games at the start of the season as teams arn't fully fit or up to speed.

It's very often why overseas players and new clubs often make a splash in the first few months.
Seems strange as fook why we didn't play him, my only guess is that clement doesn't rate him. Tammy never played in the premier league either but didn't stop him from starting.

Even stranger when new signings from La Liga played for other Prem clubs last weekend too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:26 - Aug 30 with 2086 viewsr0ckin

Bottom line is Clement doesn't want him, it's unlikely to work out sadly.

Clucas looks far more of a Clement 'signing' - Mesa looks like a signing from a different era

Peace

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:38 - Aug 30 with 1996 viewsGaz_M

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:26 - Aug 30 by r0ckin

Bottom line is Clement doesn't want him, it's unlikely to work out sadly.

Clucas looks far more of a Clement 'signing' - Mesa looks like a signing from a different era

Still talking shite then?
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:42 - Aug 30 with 1974 viewsr0ckin

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:38 - Aug 30 by Gaz_M

Still talking shite then?

Explain

Peace

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:43 - Aug 30 with 1962 viewsr0ckin

“If we get players in, it will be good if they have a bit of Premier League experience,”

Key quote, very insightful

Peace

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:55 - Aug 30 with 1905 viewsCooperman

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:43 - Aug 30 by r0ckin

Key quote, very insightful

Good but not essential.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:10 - Aug 30 with 1831 viewsDr_Winston

Clucas has Premier League experience. So does Bony. If we're seriously after Chadli so does he.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:20 - Aug 30 with 1772 viewsMeraki

I think it was definitely a "moneyball" signing, which doesn't really work in football for me.

Surely you have to take into consideration whether he will work well as a part of our team?
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:23 - Aug 30 with 1747 viewsJackSkellington

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:10 - Aug 30 by Dr_Winston

Clucas has Premier League experience. So does Bony. If we're seriously after Chadli so does he.

And Sanches doesn't, so it's not the be all and end all for Clement.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:43 - Aug 31 with 1546 viewsdameedna

The teams changes in the first month due to transfers.

They change again at Christmas / Jan with more transfers.

All teams have injuries.

The fixtures are unpredictable at the start.

Huddersfield are at the top and playing well.

As predicted we are under strength with Gylfi and Llorente out.

If we strengthen like we should Mesa will have an easier time. If he is feeding Sanches and Clucas and he plays at home we will see Mesa develop.

Not sure where you get your information from.

It is doubtful Abraham would have started if we had Llorente.

Same for Fer if we had Gylfi.

Clucas has played there before but he had an easier time than playing against Pogba and Martial who are on a par with Sanches. Give Mesa some credit and time.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2017 8:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024