Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa 12:47 - Aug 13 with 18910 viewsEasternJack

Roque Mesa was an unused substitute this weekend as the Swans kicked off the new season with a goalless draw at Southampton.

And Clement explained that he wants to give the 28-year-old, who arrived in an £11 million deal last month, the opportunity to come to terms with the challenges of English football.

“Roque Mesa is a really good player and he is going to be a good player for this team,”

“But it’s going to take him a little bit of time to adapt to the tempo of this league because he has been playing in La Liga.

“I have worked in La Liga and I know the difference. In La Liga you get time on the ball to play, especially in midfield.

“But over here it’s very different. You don’t get that time and space to play because of the tempo.

“Roque will get used to that, but it’s going to take him a bit of time.”

“If we get players in, it will be good if they have a bit of Premier League experience,”

---
Thankfully that kills the Viera link, but probably reinforces the Joey, Bony and Chadli deals once/if Siggy goes

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:41 - Aug 13 with 1936 viewsAl_Bundy

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:39 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

Which is exactly the point we are making. If he sees it right to play Jay Fulton ahead of him, then that is a concerning state of affairs for our squad.

Mesa will start at home next match.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:46 - Aug 13 with 1919 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:30 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

I am letting myself down by suggesting there is always going to be a difference in pace between the leagues all season? And there was me thinking I was talking factually. Ah well.

He was always going to have to adapt to the pace and intensity of the premier league. Playing Leon's role, its more important than if he was a Michu or Hernandez, even a Chico as he is effectively the shield and easy out ball for the defence. I said when we signed him, that I would either have him coming on for Leon for the last 20/30 minutes for the first couple of games, or play them both with Leon at the base of the diamond.

Have to admit though, I expected him to get a proper run out against Sampdoria and to impose himself more on the game when he did come on. Got caught up with work yesterday so can't really comment on the substitutions, but all things being equal would have expected him to come on.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:46 - Aug 13 with 1919 viewsangryjack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 13:17 - Aug 13 by AngelRangelQS

I can see his point. Michu, DeGuzman and Chico were all terrible in their first league game for us

Not sure if you're taking pi88 but we won 5 1 against qpr with michu getting a few
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:48 - Aug 13 with 1913 viewsLeonWasGod

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 13:51 - Aug 13 by Whiterockin

Agree 100%. Yesterday was a backs to the wall job when it was time to make the subs. The diamond was leaving us exposed wide and we were being pulled all over the pitch. I have only seen Mesa play once against Sampdoria and if he came on and played the same way yesterday we would have lost. Yesterday the game was in the balance and that is not the time to bed in players in the Premier League.

Isn't that a bit worrying in itself? We'll have no easy games - last season with this squad showed we have to be up for every game and prepared to fight for posession. We'll always be digging in. Will Mesa ever be ready? How long will it take for him to step up? Do we have another Borja on our hands?

Ideally we want to sign players who can come straight in and make a difference, as the Mich, JdG and Chico examples above.

Far too early to worry about him, but senior players shouldn't need easing in after a fairly full pre-season.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:49 - Aug 13 with 1899 viewsE20Jack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:46 - Aug 13 by jack247

He was always going to have to adapt to the pace and intensity of the premier league. Playing Leon's role, its more important than if he was a Michu or Hernandez, even a Chico as he is effectively the shield and easy out ball for the defence. I said when we signed him, that I would either have him coming on for Leon for the last 20/30 minutes for the first couple of games, or play them both with Leon at the base of the diamond.

Have to admit though, I expected him to get a proper run out against Sampdoria and to impose himself more on the game when he did come on. Got caught up with work yesterday so can't really comment on the substitutions, but all things being equal would have expected him to come on.

Yes but you don't adapt on the bench is the point.

The difference in pace of the leagues isn't going to go away just because he sits on the bench. If you want him to adapt then you play him, certainly over a kid who has barely played in the league himself and probably doesn't have a long term future here.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:52 - Aug 13 with 1893 viewsspiderboy

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:39 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

Which is exactly the point we are making. If he sees it right to play Jay Fulton ahead of him, then that is a concerning state of affairs for our squad.

Well,all we can hope for is that Mesa comes good and the Siggy saga is put to bed very very soon.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:53 - Aug 13 with 1890 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:49 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

Yes but you don't adapt on the bench is the point.

The difference in pace of the leagues isn't going to go away just because he sits on the bench. If you want him to adapt then you play him, certainly over a kid who has barely played in the league himself and probably doesn't have a long term future here.

Yes, absolutely. But do you prioritise easing him in or securing a poInt?

As I say, I didn't see the game, only the motd highlights, but I can understand the logic of not bringing him on if we were completely under the cosh. I will think there is more to it if he doesn't get on the pitch next week.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:04 - Aug 13 with 1838 viewsnantywatcher

I've got a feeling it's something about Mesa's attitude - he wandered on to the pitch against Sampdoria and spent the entire time pointing and telling people what to do, whilst doing next to nothing himself other than a few easy crossfield balls. Personally I think PC is trying to get him to work for a starting position rather than hand it to him on a plate. Underwhelmed by Mesa at the moment but all the ITK's rate him, so I'll hold back judgement ( as long as he cuts out his constant pointing - this is a serious comment - how often have you ever seen Leon point? it's lazy and disruptive)
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:05 - Aug 13 with 1830 viewsE20Jack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:53 - Aug 13 by jack247

Yes, absolutely. But do you prioritise easing him in or securing a poInt?

As I say, I didn't see the game, only the motd highlights, but I can understand the logic of not bringing him on if we were completely under the cosh. I will think there is more to it if he doesn't get on the pitch next week.

As I said, I would have no issue if an experienced midfield rock was brought on instead, then I could swallow that excuse. But he brought on Jay Fulton, a kid with 11 starts at this level in his life with a history of rash tackling and wasteful possession. If the manager believes that bringing on Fulton is more chance of securing a point then that is a concern, regardless of starting a paltry 11 games more at this level.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:10 - Aug 13 with 1812 viewsGriffting

Got to agree with 247. Britton was always going to start.There was probably intention to bring him on at a stage when both teams were tiring and he could perhaps get a grip on the midfield. And then it turned out that we were just being pummelled by soton so he brought Fulton on instead to 'do a job'. Not saying Mesa couldn't do that job but perhaps Clement felt it just wasn't the right time.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:18 - Aug 13 with 1795 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:05 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

As I said, I would have no issue if an experienced midfield rock was brought on instead, then I could swallow that excuse. But he brought on Jay Fulton, a kid with 11 starts at this level in his life with a history of rash tackling and wasteful possession. If the manager believes that bringing on Fulton is more chance of securing a point then that is a concern, regardless of starting a paltry 11 games more at this level.

I'm sure we would have brought an experienced midfield rock on on if we had one. Same could be said for the Abraham/Bartley substitution. I very much doubt that was in Clements thinking pre-game. I'd like to think the Fulton one wasn't either, but can see the logic in both if we were getting battered.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:20 - Aug 13 with 1780 viewsNookiejack

The starting team v MK Dons Will be interesting.

Clement can't really risk playing any of the starters yesterday in case of injury.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:24 - Aug 13 with 1765 viewsoldcob

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:20 - Aug 13 by Nookiejack

The starting team v MK Dons Will be interesting.

Clement can't really risk playing any of the starters yesterday in case of injury.

He can start Routs.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:54 - Aug 13 with 1692 viewsTheResurrection

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:10 - Aug 13 by Griffting

Got to agree with 247. Britton was always going to start.There was probably intention to bring him on at a stage when both teams were tiring and he could perhaps get a grip on the midfield. And then it turned out that we were just being pummelled by soton so he brought Fulton on instead to 'do a job'. Not saying Mesa couldn't do that job but perhaps Clement felt it just wasn't the right time.

I'm sorry but that's absolute nonsense.

Leon wasn't played hardly at all last season as, well, his best years are facking behind him. He was used in an emergency at the end of the season when then he went onto contemplate retirement!!!

And this is the boy who was always going to start in our first Premier League game,after we'd specifically targeted that position to unveil our rather expensive marquee signing........

And Leon was always going to start??????

Do some of you read back some of the utter nonsense you put in front of everyone FFS??

Nantywatcher I think is on the right lines.... Like I said, his attitude/temperament needs questioning.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:09 - Aug 13 with 1657 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:54 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

Leon wasn't played hardly at all last season as, well, his best years are facking behind him. He was used in an emergency at the end of the season when then he went onto contemplate retirement!!!

And this is the boy who was always going to start in our first Premier League game,after we'd specifically targeted that position to unveil our rather expensive marquee signing........

Do some of you read back some of the utter nonsense you put in front of everyone FFS??

Nantywatcher I think is on the right lines.... Like I said, his attitude/temperament needs questioning.

See what happens next week. If he doesn't get off the bench I'll start to worry.

Leon came in for the last 5 games last season, we won 4 and drew at old Trafford. He was always going to start yesterday.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:21 - Aug 13 with 1634 viewsTheResurrection

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:09 - Aug 13 by jack247

See what happens next week. If he doesn't get off the bench I'll start to worry.

Leon came in for the last 5 games last season, we won 4 and drew at old Trafford. He was always going to start yesterday.

He nearly retired FFS. Stop taking shit.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:24 - Aug 13 with 1625 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:21 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

He nearly retired FFS. Stop taking shit.

Well it's a good job he didn't
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:48 - Aug 13 with 1595 viewssplJack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:04 - Aug 13 by nantywatcher

I've got a feeling it's something about Mesa's attitude - he wandered on to the pitch against Sampdoria and spent the entire time pointing and telling people what to do, whilst doing next to nothing himself other than a few easy crossfield balls. Personally I think PC is trying to get him to work for a starting position rather than hand it to him on a plate. Underwhelmed by Mesa at the moment but all the ITK's rate him, so I'll hold back judgement ( as long as he cuts out his constant pointing - this is a serious comment - how often have you ever seen Leon point? it's lazy and disruptive)

Dont think it's a coincidence we're linked with Joe Allen either.

However people want to dress it up, the fact Fulton came on ahead of him yesterday suggests PC is making a point.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:55 - Aug 13 with 1572 viewsGriffting

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 17:54 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

Please, do explain this idea of Mesa potentially being a 'bad egg'.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:59 - Aug 13 with 1566 viewsFlashberryjack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 13:27 - Aug 13 by clement

People on here love a moan don't they. Protest subs? More like, trying not to lose subs.

Messa will get minutes when we are in control of games, I am sure, not when we have backs to the wall and need everyone to be 100% switched on positionally. There are times to bed players in and yesterday wasn't that time.

How the f*ck do you bed a player in ( a £11 million player mind) by getting himm to sit on the bench for 90 minutes.....what a load of old bboolloxx.

Clements need to grow a pair.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:03 - Aug 13 with 1557 viewsNeath_Jack

Anyway, going back to the OP, i thought our new found super scout, said that Clement had made Viera his number one transfer target, doesn't sound like it from his latest comments. Maybe that's why he hasn't made an appearance today, either that or he was at Old Trafford today

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:16 - Aug 13 with 1511 viewsTheResurrection

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:03 - Aug 13 by Neath_Jack

Anyway, going back to the OP, i thought our new found super scout, said that Clement had made Viera his number one transfer target, doesn't sound like it from his latest comments. Maybe that's why he hasn't made an appearance today, either that or he was at Old Trafford today

Haha yes indeed. .

Clement was looking forward to him

So god knows what the bloody idiot now thinks of these latest comments.

It's back to YouTube for him.

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:33 - Aug 13 with 1473 viewsNogginthenog

Perhaps PC was making a point and perhaps if he is not heard, he will be offski , sooner rather than later.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:49 - Aug 13 with 1439 viewsunion_jack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 18:59 - Aug 13 by Flashberryjack

How the f*ck do you bed a player in ( a £11 million player mind) by getting himm to sit on the bench for 90 minutes.....what a load of old bboolloxx.

Clements need to grow a pair.

You bed them in in games where we are not going to be under so much pressure and that's likely to be at home.

That said, I'd like to have seen him blooded yesterday but under the circumstances it wasn't the right thing to do and the point gained vindicates that decision.

If u remember correctly, I think Bodde took time to adapt to the pace of L1(?) but we could afford to bring him on early because we had a very good side in those days.

I'm not going to believe dramatic theories as to why he's not playing just yet. Neither do I subscribe to the idea that Clement is making a point with his subs. He played the cards he had available to him and wouldn't potentially throw a game to make his point. Absolutely no way.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:01 - Aug 13 with 1420 viewsFlashberryjack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:49 - Aug 13 by union_jack

You bed them in in games where we are not going to be under so much pressure and that's likely to be at home.

That said, I'd like to have seen him blooded yesterday but under the circumstances it wasn't the right thing to do and the point gained vindicates that decision.

If u remember correctly, I think Bodde took time to adapt to the pace of L1(?) but we could afford to bring him on early because we had a very good side in those days.

I'm not going to believe dramatic theories as to why he's not playing just yet. Neither do I subscribe to the idea that Clement is making a point with his subs. He played the cards he had available to him and wouldn't potentially throw a game to make his point. Absolutely no way.

I would have thought friendlies and coming off the bench would be the best way to bed a player in.

I fail to see how keeping a player on the bench helps to bed him into the team.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024