Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa 12:47 - Aug 13 with 18912 viewsEasternJack

Roque Mesa was an unused substitute this weekend as the Swans kicked off the new season with a goalless draw at Southampton.

And Clement explained that he wants to give the 28-year-old, who arrived in an £11 million deal last month, the opportunity to come to terms with the challenges of English football.

“Roque Mesa is a really good player and he is going to be a good player for this team,”

“But it’s going to take him a little bit of time to adapt to the tempo of this league because he has been playing in La Liga.

“I have worked in La Liga and I know the difference. In La Liga you get time on the ball to play, especially in midfield.

“But over here it’s very different. You don’t get that time and space to play because of the tempo.

“Roque will get used to that, but it’s going to take him a bit of time.”

“If we get players in, it will be good if they have a bit of Premier League experience,”

---
Thankfully that kills the Viera link, but probably reinforces the Joey, Bony and Chadli deals once/if Siggy goes

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 21:38 - Aug 13 with 2344 viewsDarran

Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration too is how did new foreign players (some from La Liga) play for other clubs yesterday?
Why didn't they need a settling in period?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 21:42 - Aug 13 with 2326 viewsFlashberryjack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 21:35 - Aug 13 by E20Jack

As a poster abive said. If you wanted to ease a player in, and you have two games approaching. One Southampton and the other Man United... Easing him in against Man United is a bit batsh*t crazy if you are worried that he may not be up to speed.

How does sitting on the bench help ease a player into playing in the PL ? .

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 21:43 - Aug 13 with 2324 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Baston is still in his settling in period.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 22:22 - Aug 13 with 2282 viewsdonkonky

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:10 - Aug 13 by jack247

You don't. You bed him in by giving him 20-30 minutes, then you increase it. I'm sure Clement didn't plan on playing Leon for 90 and highly doubt the original plan was to replace him with Fulton. I'm guessing he just reacted to how the game was going. If he thinks Fulton gives us a better chance of a result, then that's the change he has to make.

Exactly!! We were on the ropes and holding on for a valuable away point. I'm sure Mesa will get game time against United on Saturday.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 23:15 - Aug 13 with 2222 viewsE20Jack

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 21:42 - Aug 13 by Flashberryjack

How does sitting on the bench help ease a player into playing in the PL ? .

Tell me about it.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 23:24 - Aug 13 with 2215 viewsAngelRangelQS

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 16:46 - Aug 13 by angryjack

Not sure if you're taking pi88 but we won 5 1 against qpr with michu getting a few

5-0
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 00:53 - Aug 14 with 2161 viewsMoscowJack

I think he's either unfit (he looked it against Sampdoria) and needs to get a lot fitter before he can be trusted in such a key role or PC doesn't rate him.

I think PC expected him to be his replacement for Leon this season, but fitness (or stamina) has been the main issue.

I'm going with the lack of fitness and potentially still not being 100% familiar with the team shape and tactics we play. I had been excited watching him before the Sampdoria game and was incredibly worried about his performance during that game. Maybe he's still got a bit to learn and PC felt that Fulton's been in that system for a long time and, whilst less of a player, would slot in and do the job he was asked to do.

I hope this is right actually as we need Mesa to be a star for us!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 02:54 - Aug 14 with 2105 viewsdameedna

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 14:49 - Aug 13 by raynor94

Laughable, Fulton has played 11 times for us, Mesa has made over 100 la liga appearances, if Mesa is not up to speed by now, something is radically wrong behind the scenes

There are issues behind the scenes.

I don't see those issues as impacting what Clem did.

It was tactical management an idea he had that height would help. He likes Ki for example. He is a tall geezer himself. He played Cork as DM instead of Britton until injury.

Clem has doubts over Mesa due to his height. Told Fulton not to back down which is a red rag to a bull or maybe yellow lol.

How he got a point out of that game was career building.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 04:40 - Aug 14 with 2061 viewsNirvana

When we signed Mesa, I said he would have a big adjustment to make coming from playing in Spain and for Las Palmas. I specifically said he would have to cut out playing risky passes to teammates in dangerous situations, and I suspect Clement agrees. Everyone is extremely skilled on the ball in La Liga and it works most of the time, but that's far from the case in the PL.

Mastering a given league's relative "time on the ball" is integral to a role like Leon's, and it takes awhile to get a 'feel' for the flow of the game and what to do in certain situations. For example, sustained pressing high up the pitch is far more common in England than Spain, and that is something Mesa will have to adjust to. Neither Leon or Mesa are traditional DMs, but they are both able to play in front of a defence because of their excellent spatial awareness, touch, and passing.

They are good tacklers, as well, but more the 'always-in-the-right-spot' kind of shield; timing is everything. A lot of the success that Leon has had in that role is down to waiting that extra half-second for lanes to open up for him to pass into (playing through the lines). Mesa is the same. La Liga and the PL are fundamentally different in that regard, and it'll take a little time to get adjusted. Clement is very familiar with this aspect of football, and he understandably didn't want to throw Mesa into the deep end.

Much easier to put on Fulton, who for his faults is more a true DM, close up shop, and pray we hold on. We didn't need a deep-lying playmaker to open up the game. We weren't seeing enough of the ball because we were getting hammered, and it would have made it far worse. We needed someone to come in and just stand in front of the CBs, and Fulton did that. It might not have looked pretty, but tactically it was the right decision, and we were rewarded with a point.

Nearly every player switching countries encounters this transition, and especially ones moving for the first time (out of their home country). PC explained exactly why Mesa didn't play, there's no need for any conspiracy or bbullsshitt here.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 04:56 - Aug 14 with 2050 viewsNirvana

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:01 - Aug 13 by Flashberryjack

I would have thought friendlies and coming off the bench would be the best way to bed a player in.

I fail to see how keeping a player on the bench helps to bed him into the team.

None of those friendles were against good, English competition, Flashberry.

It was better for Mesa to see the pace of the PL from the bench, rather than throw him in the situation we were in. And I mean "see" literally, as in seeing how much and how quickly the ball is played in the air versus La Liga, in front of him, with his own eyes. Remember, he is Spanish and has played there his entire career.

He's also a footballer, and it's not like he's at the Liberty or Anfield every week. Spain has a very particular, and appealing, style of football that revolves around keeping the ball on the ground and in constant motion, particularly sideways and backwards, in order to open up space to advance into attack. The PL is more forward-thinking, as in playing the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible.

It will take some time for him (or anyone) to get used to a different way of playing, and more importantly, thinking. It's on us as supporters to provide just that: support. Mesa is not Borja. He deserves his chance to prove himself. Put down the pitchfork amigo.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 05:01 - Aug 14 with 2046 viewsNirvana

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:03 - Aug 13 by Neath_Jack

Anyway, going back to the OP, i thought our new found super scout, said that Clement had made Viera his number one transfer target, doesn't sound like it from his latest comments. Maybe that's why he hasn't made an appearance today, either that or he was at Old Trafford today

Sorry to disappoint you, Neefie.

It was a beautiful day where I am, and I made the most of it. I guess you spent yours on PS.

Again, sorry.

I know you'll laugh it off on here, but a piece of advice: you really should think long and hard about what you're doing with your life.

Move along to your next obsession, you're embarrassing yourself.

Grown man, mind you, cyber-stalking another, FFS.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 05:06 - Aug 14 with 2043 viewsNirvana

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:16 - Aug 13 by TheResurrection

Haha yes indeed. .

Clement was looking forward to him

So god knows what the bloody idiot now thinks of these latest comments.

It's back to YouTube for him.

What happened to your "free-flowing football" you were so excited and confident about, threads an' all?

FAIL.

So yes, I understand why you've quickly moved on to a complete non-issue and blown it out of proportion.

And then, exactly to script, you get put in your place about that too and move on to me. As always with you, it's to deflect away from how little you actually know about football.

Stick to the personality tests and "surmising", much more your wheelhouse.

Leave the football to everyone else.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 05:07 - Aug 14 with 2041 viewsNirvana

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 19:49 - Aug 13 by union_jack

You bed them in in games where we are not going to be under so much pressure and that's likely to be at home.

That said, I'd like to have seen him blooded yesterday but under the circumstances it wasn't the right thing to do and the point gained vindicates that decision.

If u remember correctly, I think Bodde took time to adapt to the pace of L1(?) but we could afford to bring him on early because we had a very good side in those days.

I'm not going to believe dramatic theories as to why he's not playing just yet. Neither do I subscribe to the idea that Clement is making a point with his subs. He played the cards he had available to him and wouldn't potentially throw a game to make his point. Absolutely no way.

Spot on, Union Jack.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:44 - Aug 14 with 1972 viewsjojaca

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 05:07 - Aug 14 by Nirvana

Spot on, Union Jack.

I don't buy the argument that Premier League is played at higher/faster tempo than La Liga. Every team plays slightly different in any league, some play high press and some don't press etc. On the youtube videos of Mesa, he looks the ideal player to have when we getting pressed higher up, he looks like Britton of old playing out of tight spots and then creating large spaces for his team mates. But that is only watching youtube videos mind.

Even when you know, you never know?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:51 - Aug 14 with 1961 views34dfgdf54

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:44 - Aug 14 by jojaca

I don't buy the argument that Premier League is played at higher/faster tempo than La Liga. Every team plays slightly different in any league, some play high press and some don't press etc. On the youtube videos of Mesa, he looks the ideal player to have when we getting pressed higher up, he looks like Britton of old playing out of tight spots and then creating large spaces for his team mates. But that is only watching youtube videos mind.

La Liga sides don't seem to have much trouble in Europe either do they?

Not just Barcelona and Madrid, Sevilla are always there or thereabouts in the Uefa Cup and chuck Athletico in the mix.

I just get the inkling that he's not a part of Clements plans at all, thought it after the Sampdoria game, and Saturday hasn't done anything for me to think otherwise. It's not right behind the scenes, Clem doesn't look happy.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:55 - Aug 14 with 1959 viewsWarwickHunt

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 02:54 - Aug 14 by dameedna

It was tactical management an idea he had that height would help. He likes Ki for example. He is a tall geezer himself. He played Cork as DM instead of Britton until injury.

Clem has doubts over Mesa due to his height. Told Fulton not to back down which is a red rag to a bull or maybe yellow lol.

"He likes Ki for example. He is a tall geezer himself."

Laudrup played Michu because he had nice hair. Michael had lovely hair and liked that in a player.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:04 - Aug 14 with 1944 viewsjack247

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:51 - Aug 14 by 34dfgdf54

Not just Barcelona and Madrid, Sevilla are always there or thereabouts in the Uefa Cup and chuck Athletico in the mix.

I just get the inkling that he's not a part of Clements plans at all, thought it after the Sampdoria game, and Saturday hasn't done anything for me to think otherwise. It's not right behind the scenes, Clem doesn't look happy.

This would have been a completely left field signing if Clement hadn't had any input. I'm guessing he is just taking longer to adapt than expected. I don't expect him to start next week, but would think he will come on for Leon at some stage. If Fulton comes on again (unless we are hanging to something and are getting aerially bombarded) I'd start to worry.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:14 - Aug 14 with 1914 views34dfgdf54

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:04 - Aug 14 by jack247

This would have been a completely left field signing if Clement hadn't had any input. I'm guessing he is just taking longer to adapt than expected. I don't expect him to start next week, but would think he will come on for Leon at some stage. If Fulton comes on again (unless we are hanging to something and are getting aerially bombarded) I'd start to worry.

Not really left sided, if Mesa isn't a moneyball signing, I don't know what is.

I'm yet to be convinced that Clement has an ounce to do with what players come into the club. Links with Allen, Chadli and Bony only reinforce that belief.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:28 - Aug 14 with 1892 viewslifelong

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:51 - Aug 14 by 34dfgdf54

I agree with 'Clem doesn't look happy" his body language says he pissed off with what's going on behind the scenes, if we're not careful he'll be out of the door.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:32 - Aug 14 with 1881 viewsMeraki

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:04 - Aug 14 by jack247

Clement had nothing to do with the signing of Mesa, as someone said its a Moneyball signing - Huw Jenkins loves them.
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:43 - Aug 14 with 1852 viewsAngelRangelQS

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:28 - Aug 14 by lifelong

I agree with 'Clem doesn't look happy" his body language says he pissed off with what's going on behind the scenes, if we're not careful he'll be out of the door.

If we don't get in 2-3 new players when we eventually sell Gylfi, I think he'll walk when his stock is still high.

He won't be out of the bottom 4 or 5 all season with our current team
Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 08:51 - Aug 14 with 1831 viewsraynor94

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 02:54 - Aug 14 by dameedna

" issues over his height"? did you miss the smiley out?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:07 - Aug 14 with 1801 viewsSwansNZ

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 07:55 - Aug 14 by WarwickHunt

"He likes Ki for example. He is a tall geezer himself."

Laudrup played Michu because he had nice hair. Michael had lovely hair and liked that in a player.

Just think what Bob Bradley could have done with Jonjo Shelvey.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:08 - Aug 14 with 1799 viewsSwansNZ

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 20:40 - Aug 13 by raynor94

We are talking about a bloke who made 36 la liga appearances last season, he has been on the U.S. tour and trained every day with the squad, so I don't get this bed him in. He's our marquee summer signing, and can't get a game

He's our only summer signing.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 09:10 - Aug 14 with 1786 viewsTheResurrection

Paul Clement on Roque Mesa on 04:56 - Aug 14 by Nirvana

None of those friendles were against good, English competition, Flashberry.

It was better for Mesa to see the pace of the PL from the bench, rather than throw him in the situation we were in. And I mean "see" literally, as in seeing how much and how quickly the ball is played in the air versus La Liga, in front of him, with his own eyes. Remember, he is Spanish and has played there his entire career.

He's also a footballer, and it's not like he's at the Liberty or Anfield every week. Spain has a very particular, and appealing, style of football that revolves around keeping the ball on the ground and in constant motion, particularly sideways and backwards, in order to open up space to advance into attack. The PL is more forward-thinking, as in playing the ball forward as quickly and as often as possible.

It will take some time for him (or anyone) to get used to a different way of playing, and more importantly, thinking. It's on us as supporters to provide just that: support. Mesa is not Borja. He deserves his chance to prove himself. Put down the pitchfork amigo.

Who the fack is this clown???

Is he really going into chapter and verse, and by fack, I mean chapter and verse zzzzzzzz on the difference in English and Spanish football.

This joker is a true embarrassment.

I see he's carefully forgotten about Clement being Viera's number 1 fan.

Back to YouTube.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024