Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pensions 18:37 - Jun 12 with 2140 viewsPozuelosSideys

I know, yawn.

Anyway, seems to be the time of year to receive the various annual statements. Tell you what, they havent half taken a kicking. One of my pots is down and worth 18% less than i put in since leaving that job in 2018!

Anyone else had any recently? If you have and havent checked out its performance, would suggest you do, especially if you are nearing retirement!
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 18:46]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Pensions on 18:43 - Jun 12 with 2115 viewslegoman

Hold your nerve. Whilst this latest market movement is massive, it is a one off and due to a clear event. Ask yourself if you think the UK economy is going to fall to pieces. I think not, and so expect a recovery.

Some people will say that if the market is at the bottom, now is the time to buy, but as its a lot like gambling, if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Pensions on 18:46 - Jun 12 with 2107 viewsPozuelosSideys

Pensions on 18:43 - Jun 12 by legoman

Hold your nerve. Whilst this latest market movement is massive, it is a one off and due to a clear event. Ask yourself if you think the UK economy is going to fall to pieces. I think not, and so expect a recovery.

Some people will say that if the market is at the bottom, now is the time to buy, but as its a lot like gambling, if you can't afford to lose it, don't invest.

Yeah, fortunately im nowhere near retirement age and have a few pots already, this one is relatively modest. But the performance comparison of each one is suprising. The company this poor performer is with is massive and the losses they must have made to the total pension fund on an actual basis must be eye watering.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

Pensions on 18:52 - Jun 12 with 2079 viewsalltjack

I'm 60 and lost 22% .Being self employed not that much in the pot so have had to freeze it.Scary times
Pensions on 18:58 - Jun 12 with 2070 viewslegoman

Pensions on 18:46 - Jun 12 by PozuelosSideys

Yeah, fortunately im nowhere near retirement age and have a few pots already, this one is relatively modest. But the performance comparison of each one is suprising. The company this poor performer is with is massive and the losses they must have made to the total pension fund on an actual basis must be eye watering.

When I think about investing in equities I look at the FTSE performance over a long period (10 years or more). That always gives me comfort, so if you are still a long way off retirement, kick back and open another beer.

I'm fortunate in that I have already retired and my pension is essentially a "final salary" one so I am not concerned by market movements. My kids are in a different space though and have money purchase pensions. I'm a bit dumb about these, but intuitively, it would seem wise to me to consolidate several small pensions built up with a variety of employers into one pot. Do you, or any others on here, have a view on that?

Pensions on 19:06 - Jun 12 with 2058 viewsPozuelosSideys

Pensions on 18:58 - Jun 12 by legoman

When I think about investing in equities I look at the FTSE performance over a long period (10 years or more). That always gives me comfort, so if you are still a long way off retirement, kick back and open another beer.

I'm fortunate in that I have already retired and my pension is essentially a "final salary" one so I am not concerned by market movements. My kids are in a different space though and have money purchase pensions. I'm a bit dumb about these, but intuitively, it would seem wise to me to consolidate several small pensions built up with a variety of employers into one pot. Do you, or any others on here, have a view on that?

DB scheme? Cha-ching!

I fully intend to keep all the different scheme separate. Spread that risk as far as i can. If i had loaded everything up into this one, the hit would have been huge. Some of the other pots have performed a lot better. Will likely look to consolidate toward the end of career mode though.

I think the direction of investment is changing. A lot of pension trusts and businesses are looking at different options. The way stuff is going environmentally and the desire for more sustainability and green options, funds are going to need to move away from historically safe investments like energy companies and fossil fuels types like BP and Shell and the FS sectors and move towards stocks in companies which are likely to have a huge uptick in business through this green movement. Covid is just going to encourage many that that direction is a good one.

Makes me wonder though, given the market is so low, would it make sense to load up cash into the personal pension schemes now, buy more units at the low price and then sit back and watch like we would any other investment?

Pensions on 19:16 - Jun 12 with 2036 viewssherpajacob

check the date of the valuation.

The FTSE is 20% up since the 23rd March and at the same level it was just after the Brexit vote.

With any investment , its a trade of between risk and return. Equities will give you the best return (yes, better than property) over the long term. If you are happy to invest over the long term.

If you cant afford to invest over the long term, eg because of your age, look for less volatile investments.

Asset allocation is the key to successful investing. How much of your money is in growth assets that have some risk (shares and property) and how much is in safer investments with a lower return (cash and bonds)

If you are investing over the longer term and prepared to go with the ups and downs, you want more in the former. If you need security (widows and orphans) you have more in the latter.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Pensions on 19:22 - Jun 12 with 2015 viewslegoman

Pensions on 19:06 - Jun 12 by PozuelosSideys

DB scheme? Cha-ching!

I fully intend to keep all the different scheme separate. Spread that risk as far as i can. If i had loaded everything up into this one, the hit would have been huge. Some of the other pots have performed a lot better. Will likely look to consolidate toward the end of career mode though.

I think the direction of investment is changing. A lot of pension trusts and businesses are looking at different options. The way stuff is going environmentally and the desire for more sustainability and green options, funds are going to need to move away from historically safe investments like energy companies and fossil fuels types like BP and Shell and the FS sectors and move towards stocks in companies which are likely to have a huge uptick in business through this green movement. Covid is just going to encourage many that that direction is a good one.

Makes me wonder though, given the market is so low, would it make sense to load up cash into the personal pension schemes now, buy more units at the low price and then sit back and watch like we would any other investment?

Ah that's an interesting view. I see what you are saying about spreading the risk - good point. I guess I was thinking that if each fund has management fees and those fees have minimum values, if you have several schemes the fees could be disproportionately large.

Pensions on 19:48 - Jun 12 with 1981 viewsleighton1318

Two points (depending slightly what deal you have):

1. Best advice is to switch from equities into cash, gilts etc as you approach retirement age. Being less in equities reduces the risk of a market crash reducing your pot by, say, 25% overnight on the eve of retirement. Even though most people don’t switch into annuities the way it used to be, this gives you more certainty.
2. Market has bounced hugely since falling in early March but don’t assume that is for ever. We are still in a high risk environment and (IMO obviously) the market is ahead of itself and not pricing in big losses at banks on property, high street retail, private equity, never mind CV second wave. (Other opinions are available).

You can always (depending on your plan) move money around as you see fit,unless it is one where you are obliged to buy an annuity.
Login to get fewer ads

Pensions on 20:34 - Jun 12 with 1932 viewsmonmouth

My advice -Listen to Sherpa. Diversification and Asset Allocation are the nags you need to ride. That said, I'm not licenced to give advice so the last sentence should be read by nobody.

Personally I'm expecting another fall in UK markets between now and post the abortion that will be a no sensible deal on Brexit, and that is when I am planning to think of a buying opportunity. Don't have the guts to do it just now even though it might be as good a time as any. Who knows. It's just a fancy bet with good longer term odds anyway so it depends what you can afford to gamble and how long you can wait.

I would take great care before switching any pensions though. I do know that much. Get proper advice.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024