Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£30.5 m profit on transfers 18:58 - Sep 1 with 7101 viewsValerie

Only 5 clubs made a profit Us,Arsenal,Spurs,Burnley and Stoke.

And we made almost as much as all those 4 put together.

And some of the dimwits on here still think the yanks have splashed the cash.

Muppets.
£30.5 m profit on transfers on 08:11 - Sep 2 with 1495 viewsTNT

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 19:32 - Sep 1 by longlostjack

Maybe we can have a whip round to buy the club a new fax machine for Christmas.

Robin Sharpe has got one available, nearly new, never been used.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 08:33 - Sep 2 with 1471 viewsSmellyplumz

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 21:40 - Sep 1 by EasternJack

Some people will never be happy - it's in their DNA

It's a particularly British trait

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 11:48 - Sep 2 with 1421 viewsShaky

Couple of points:

* "Profit" here is unrelated to the accounting profits the company that owns the club will make.

* The fact that £30m more has been received in player sales than has been spent on new signings means that the value of the squad has gone down by £30m.

*That's a good thing?

In my view there is a serious gulf opening up between expectations and reality.

And next season the squad will require substantial investment; better hope Kaplan offloads to some people with serious dosh to punt otherwise this will end badly.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 11:56 - Sep 2 with 1417 viewsTheResurrection

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 11:48 - Sep 2 by Shaky

Couple of points:

* "Profit" here is unrelated to the accounting profits the company that owns the club will make.

* The fact that £30m more has been received in player sales than has been spent on new signings means that the value of the squad has gone down by £30m.

*That's a good thing?

In my view there is a serious gulf opening up between expectations and reality.

And next season the squad will require substantial investment; better hope Kaplan offloads to some people with serious dosh to punt otherwise this will end badly.

Not necessarily.

You just don't know. Nobody would have thought of Llorente and Siggy being worth a combined £60m last season or the season before.

This would suggest we got lucky or that it could quite easily happen again.

Clucas, Mawson, Fede, Carroll, Ayew, Bony, Mesa, Borja.... There's conservatively over £100m there alone.

Football is a funny old game... Sure someone said that once before.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 12:03 - Sep 2 with 1409 viewsShaky

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 11:56 - Sep 2 by TheResurrection

Not necessarily.

You just don't know. Nobody would have thought of Llorente and Siggy being worth a combined £60m last season or the season before.

This would suggest we got lucky or that it could quite easily happen again.

Clucas, Mawson, Fede, Carroll, Ayew, Bony, Mesa, Borja.... There's conservatively over £100m there alone.

Football is a funny old game... Sure someone said that once before.

i just don't see it like that.

And i have to say i find it mildly ironic that the wild-eyed talk of asset stripping appears to have died down at a time when a cool £30 mill has been taken out of the squad.

Now i realise you never believed in the Siggy/Llorente valuations in the first place. But at the end of the day the market is the final arbiter of value.

Misology -- It's a bitch

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 12:22 - Sep 2 with 1383 viewstrampie

It's concerning that we did not sign an attacking creative goalscoring midfielder, there are no guarantees with any transfers particularly Bony second time around and the very young Sanches.

It's a pity WBA wanted so much for Chadli he is the type of player we need.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 13:25 - Sep 2 with 1358 viewsE20Jack

It depends what you are deeming "value". If you are attributing value to talent and your point is that x amount has been removed from the squad and thus with it x amount of talent - then that is misleading as the value of Tammy Abraham and Renato Sanches could easily be £70m combined, yet for the purpose of that excercise they are counted as c.£6m.

We will have to see what they take in consultancy fees etc but as I have said previously, I am not particularly concerned about these owners, there is plenty of scope to flip a profit without potentially damaging their vehicle in order to do so. The concern is the owners down the line when most avenues of improvement/value increase have been exhausted.

I feel relatively comfortable knowing there should be a pot for Jan if needed, not to mention having to replace Tammy and Sanches come seasons end.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 14:11 - Sep 2 with 1326 viewsTheResurrection

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 12:03 - Sep 2 by Shaky

i just don't see it like that.

And i have to say i find it mildly ironic that the wild-eyed talk of asset stripping appears to have died down at a time when a cool £30 mill has been taken out of the squad.

Now i realise you never believed in the Siggy/Llorente valuations in the first place. But at the end of the day the market is the final arbiter of value.

And how scientific is the market, how reliable?

Not at all. What a player goes for today has little relevance what he maybe worth even in 6 months.

Siggy could break his leg next week, Llorente could rot on the bench. We can only assume but I think it's a fair assumption that we've maxed out the values of those two.

That's good business. The £30m is literally a piece of string, and one that could be just snipped come January.

Anyway, it's not even that amount and the players I've listed above are our assets and there's no saying what they'll be worth in a few months/next season.

We've also got a much better squad with money in the bank. There's no downside here nomatter how much people look for it.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Login to get fewer ads

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 15:53 - Sep 2 with 1288 viewsShaky

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 14:11 - Sep 2 by TheResurrection

And how scientific is the market, how reliable?

Not at all. What a player goes for today has little relevance what he maybe worth even in 6 months.

Siggy could break his leg next week, Llorente could rot on the bench. We can only assume but I think it's a fair assumption that we've maxed out the values of those two.

That's good business. The £30m is literally a piece of string, and one that could be just snipped come January.

Anyway, it's not even that amount and the players I've listed above are our assets and there's no saying what they'll be worth in a few months/next season.

We've also got a much better squad with money in the bank. There's no downside here nomatter how much people look for it.

i disagree.

it is no more than a couple of weeks ago the boy wonder was posting on the stroke of every half hour about the imperative of signing players that could be sold on for a profit.

Now clearly this is not a revelation to rival Moses coming down from the Mount; no doubt it's gonna be hard to find chairmen instructing their staff to go out and buy players that will generate a whopping loss.

But staying with truisms you have to speculate to accumulate. if you're not buying then you are not putting yourself in a position where you can win big.

You mention the possibility of buying in January if things are going pear shaped, but that window is notorious for inflated prices. In an already overheating market!

Will player prices be better next summer? With a new TV deal kicking in the following season? Anything is possible, but objectively you would have to say the odds are stacked heavily against it.

Misology -- It's a bitch

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:02 - Sep 2 with 1265 viewsE20Jack

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 15:53 - Sep 2 by Shaky

i disagree.

it is no more than a couple of weeks ago the boy wonder was posting on the stroke of every half hour about the imperative of signing players that could be sold on for a profit.

Now clearly this is not a revelation to rival Moses coming down from the Mount; no doubt it's gonna be hard to find chairmen instructing their staff to go out and buy players that will generate a whopping loss.

But staying with truisms you have to speculate to accumulate. if you're not buying then you are not putting yourself in a position where you can win big.

You mention the possibility of buying in January if things are going pear shaped, but that window is notorious for inflated prices. In an already overheating market!

Will player prices be better next summer? With a new TV deal kicking in the following season? Anything is possible, but objectively you would have to say the odds are stacked heavily against it.

I t is not a case of a chairman instructing their staff to find players that generate losses. It is more a case of being happy with short term on field gains rather than long term recyclable investments - which of course many clubs partake in.

The new TV deal could also decrease in value, bringing transfer fees into a more realistic range. With the increasing popularity of streaming sites I will be stunned if the TV deal keeps increasing. The market is volatile. What we absolutely should not have done was paid over and above what we felt was fair, even taking this market into consideration as we know this market is not a constant. £26m for Chadli is berserk to name just one.

I am far happier with the men at the helm holding fire after improving our side that started at Southampton immeasurably than I would be if they hastily pulled the trigger on signings that they felt were not value for money.

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:10 - Sep 2 with 1249 viewsShaky

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:02 - Sep 2 by E20Jack

I t is not a case of a chairman instructing their staff to find players that generate losses. It is more a case of being happy with short term on field gains rather than long term recyclable investments - which of course many clubs partake in.

The new TV deal could also decrease in value, bringing transfer fees into a more realistic range. With the increasing popularity of streaming sites I will be stunned if the TV deal keeps increasing. The market is volatile. What we absolutely should not have done was paid over and above what we felt was fair, even taking this market into consideration as we know this market is not a constant. £26m for Chadli is berserk to name just one.

I am far happier with the men at the helm holding fire after improving our side that started at Southampton immeasurably than I would be if they hastily pulled the trigger on signings that they felt were not value for money.

Unless i am missing something that means you are basing your optimism on the signings of Bony and Sanches.

However, both of those players strike me as having a high degree of risk attached.

Misology -- It's a bitch

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:17 - Sep 2 with 1233 viewsE20Jack

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:10 - Sep 2 by Shaky

Unless i am missing something that means you are basing your optimism on the signings of Bony and Sanches.

However, both of those players strike me as having a high degree of risk attached.

There is risk attached to any signings. Take Borja and the increasingly curious case of Roque Mesa for prime examples.

Clucas, Sanches and Bony have certainly improved the squad which was what I was looking to get out of this transfer window. The fact the majority of the Gylfi money spent so far has been on an English player at a good age in a premium position is very encouraging. Added to that we still may have eight figures in the kitty for January/replace loan signings is vital and gives us some wiggle room if all is not going to plan in a few months time.

Sticking all our eggs in one basket and hoping for the best would make me feel very uneasy in terms of our approach to football transfers. Especially when it is revealed Sky have had a 14% dip in their live football viewing, to commit all of this money at the peak of the market would not be smart.

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 16:19 - Sep 2 with 1226 viewsShaky

in particular, from what little I have seen of him Sanches looks like a street player, who did very well at the Euros where you get a lot of time on the ball but failed in the German league where you don't. That he can make the switch to the Prem is far from a foregone conclusion as I see it.

As for Bony, to me he should have done well at Stoke who are full of willing runners, but he bombed. Can he turn it around? Who knows?

Misology -- It's a bitch

£30.5 m profit on transfers on 17:52 - Sep 2 with 1183 viewstrampie

Swans are placing their faith on one high risk signing in Sanches (which I support if there was lower risk signings brought in at the same time) and one risky signing in Bony.
Go's without saying I hope they come off but I'm concerned at this stage, a win against Newcastle and I will settle down and look forward to the rest of the season with optimism but a loss against Newcastle and I will look to the rest of the season with trepidation.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024